Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) batteries are those that come with porous fiber-glass mats in between the plates. These batteries are not only spill-proof but also stand strong in extremely cold temperatures without freezing. It was during the 80s when the aircraft industry created the AGM battery. In fact, this remarkable initiative was seen as a smart alternative to those pricey NiCad batteries that were actually used in fighter airplanes and naval helicopters. Today, AGM batteries are on the rise due to their ability to be used for varying purposes. If you are, therefore, willing to invest in best AGM batteries, you are surely going to benefit.
Best Selling AGM Battery Comparison Chart
4 Top Rated AGM Battery Reviews
Universal Power Group 45978 Sealed Lead Acid Battery
Universal Power Group once again brings a compact, hardy and sensationally efficient Lead Acid Battery. Completely sealed, this 12v agm battery is unquestionably versatile to be used in diverse sections like power systems, solar lighting, medical mobility, security reasons, electric gates and more. One of the reasons why homeowners consider buying it is its assurance to stay miles away from a short circuit. It holds a constant voltage charge at about 20 degrees and will, therefore, last despite regular use. Being value for money, this advanced lead-acid battery is absolutely pocket-friendly in comparison to what you would pay for traditional gel batteries.
Features and Specifications
- Does not require adding water during use that makes it completely maintenance-free
- Emits no hazardous fumes and is therefore quite safe for the environment
- Made of high-quality glass mat technology making it ideal to be used in snowmobiles, watercraft etc.
- Light in weight and compact in size and can, therefore be shipped from one place to another with ease
- Extremely reliable and versatile as it can be used in varying applications
- Do not require any separate battery charger and also quite user-friendly
- Quite affordable in comparison to conventional batteries
- Absorbent glass mat design helps it deliver deep cycling performance
- Its 100 AH rate gives it sufficient power
- Easy to maintain owing to its scaled design
- No chances of short circuit
- Does not require frequent charging and has long-lasting shelf life
- For having 12.7 inches in length, this battery looks quite bulky
- Battery weighs a bit and therefore quite heavy to hold
12V 35AH Wilderness Tarpon 100 Kayak Electric Trolling Motor
Kayak trolling motor owners can now have a good time keeping their boats charged with this best agm marine battery from the Universal Power Group. This Wilderness Tarpon 100 AGM SLA battery is so easy to install that it can take any position for the mount. Furthermore, it resists shocks, vibration and most importantly quite effortless to maintain. This is where it earns a few points, especially among those who buy it for fishing in their boats. Moreover, it is quite light in weight as it weighs only 22.50 lbs. If you are, therefore, owning a small boat or a kayak, investing on this agm trolling motor battery will no doubt be wise.
Features and Specifications
- Equipped with Absorbed Glass Mat Technology, this battery assures a mind-blowing performance
- Being completely spill-proof, it ensures zero maintenance and absolute safety
- 35AH performance and deep cycle ability makes it run actively for long hours even in water
- Size of the battery is small and compact when compared to traditional batteries, making it quite lightweight
- Weighs only 22.50 lbs that makes it quite portable
- 12V battery makes it ideal to be used in engine starters and motor vehicles
- Comes with a swift start and is valve regulated
- Used for multiple purposes right from security systems and kayaks to emergency lighting and other recreations
- Kayak owners will find it to be the best one amongst all
- Compact in size and high on power
- Quite economical than traditional batteries
- Lifespan is a big question when compared to marine batteries
- Can fit only boats like kayak and not bigger than these
VMAXTANKS Vmax857 Tm AGM Deep Cycle Marine Battery
If performance and durability are to shake hands, it would surely seem possible with VMAX857 AGM Battery. High on performance, this battery is just perfect to power up boats and other trolling motors. What makes it strong and sturdy is its heavy-duty lead-tin alloys, which also stand responsible for an incredible performance. VMAX857 also does not need water to be added and this itself is a huge advantage in terms of maintenance. One does not even need to check the specific gravity of the electrolyte. In other words, this 12 Volt 35AH battery is worth the money if you are aiming to spend on it.
Features and Specifications
- VMAX857 is quite light in weight as it weighs only 25 pounds, making it easier for trolling motors to move
- With a decent voltage of 12, the battery is ideal for optimal operation
- For being able to discharge 365A per hour, it can operate at a stretch for quite some hours without letting voltage to drop
- With a CCA of 300, it has the potential to operate during freezing cold and that also zero degrees Fahrenheit
- It is absolutely shock-resistant and can withstand vibrations without causing any sort of damage
- Do not require water to be added and therefore requires zero maintenance
- Light in weight and perfect for trolling motors
- Its charging current ranges from 3A to 15A that allows it to perform remarkably
- Can operate at wide temperatures
- A bit expensive than regular batteries
- Requires a charger for more power
- Difficult to check the insides of the battery
ML35-12 – 12V 35AH U1 Deep Cycle AGM Solar Battery
It’s time to keep your traditional batteries in the waste paper basket and bring home the ML35 Mighty Max Battery. Being absolutely rechargeable, this zero maintenance battery needs no mounting accessories for installation. With a high discharge rate, this battery is spill-proof and can stand extreme cold temperatures. What makes it buyable is its long service life and wide operating temperatures. This 12V battery is light in weight and can be used in multiple applications like golf carts, electric vehicles, consumer electronics, toys, solar lighting and more. A lot of homeowners have expressed satisfaction towards buying this heavy-duty agm battery owing to its calcium-alloy grid that actually strengthens its performance.
Features and Specifications
- Used in a wide variety of applications like Engine Starters, Consumer Electronics, Access Control Devices, Garden Tools, Motorcycles and more
- Supports a valve regulated design and equipped with an Absorbent Glass Mat technology that gets it going in terms of performance
- Made of heavy-duty calcium-grid alloy, making it extremely sturdy and durable
- Measuring 7.68 x 5.16 x 7.13 inches, it is quite compact in size
- Holds the ability to operate at wide temperatures and has high discharge rate
- Comes with a long service life in both cyclic and float applications
- Capable to be utilized in varying applications right from lawn tools to security systems
- High on durability for being made of calcium-grid alloy
- Easier to install and very compact in size
- Can function effectively in extremely cold temperatures
- A bit too expensive in comparison to regular batteries
- High chances of lead-acid spillage that cause problems later during operation
How To Choose The Best AGM Battery
If you are in search of batteries that are known for their versatility, safety, and power, nothing can match the AGM or Absorbent Glass Mat batteries. What makes these world-class batteries stand out is their widespread usage. Be it commercial long-haul vehicles, military aircrafts or UPS, these batteries are extremely reliable and can produce sufficient power whenever required. However, the challenges people face are when they head to buy the excellent AGM battery.
If you too are dilemmatic in this respect, here are a few factors that will help you get the job done in quick time. Have a look:
- Check the Weight–
While you hold an AGM battery in hand, make sure it does not weight too heavy. Rather, AGM batteries should be quite light in weight. It should have a rectangular design with plates that can be altered to any shape. In other words, the size should be quite compact. So, do not be confused in regard to its weight as it should never be so heavy.
- Check the Charging Status –
If you think you are going to test an AGM battery while purchasing it, just see that it does not emit any sort of gas. As a matter of fact, these batteries do not even emit hydrogen or any other gas. If there is no gas emitted while being charged, it will indicate a positive sign of the battery. Once confirmed, you can go for it.
- Check its operation –
One of the best aspects of AGM battery is that it does not require water during its operation. It is one of the most hassle-free agm batteries you will come across that also does not require any maintenance. So, if you find the storekeeper speaking about a lot of maintenance tips, just be a bit aware.
- Check its size and voltage range –
The majority of AGM batteries are mid-sized and there is no doubt about it. This is a big reason why a lot of homeowners find them convenient to install. Also, AGM batteries range from 30 to 100Ah and this must be confirmed while you buy a great AGM battery. They can also be found in UPS, big and small for stationary and deep cycle use.
- Check its affordability –
If you are comparing AGM batteries with the gel type batteries, you must know that the former is a lot more affordable. Although AGM batteries have been in use for about thirty years, they are still considered to be the most preferred for being used for diverse purposes. Although it is said that flooded batteries are expensive than AGM, the latter holds the capacity to charge faster.
- Check its temperature sensitivity –
AGM batteries have higher resistance to shock, vibration and extreme temperatures. For a test, you can keep it in cold temperature and find out whether it’s working or not. If it works, you will know that you have got a safe and efficient Absorbent Glass Mat battery.
Just keep these factors in mind and go ahead to get the best AGM battery.
Benefits of Good AGM Battery
Although it’s been more than three decades that Absorbed Glass Mat batteries are in use, they are still considered quite versatile in comparison to the gel, wet or flooded batteries. Indeed, AGM batteries are unmatched in terms of their versatility as they can be used for diverse purposes. Be it UPS or military aircraft, they have left an indelible mark in all spheres. Besides, there are lots of benefits in having an AGM battery in comparison to those traditional ones.
If you are, therefore planning to buy the unique AGM battery, here are some of the good points you should know about it. Take a look:
- Easy to install and maintain –
A big advantage of having an AGM battery is that it can be installed then and there. It does not take space at all and can be installed without any issue. Also, in terms of maintenance, these batteries leave no question. Since these batteries do not need water, the user does not have to care about liquids topping off. Even there are no chances of dangerous chemicals spilling off.
- Long lasting shelf life –
Since AGM batteries are deep discharge resistant, they hold the power to stay active for quite some months. As they have quite low self-discharge rate, they can stand strong to a stretch of 8 months.
- Withstand extreme cold –
One brilliant advantage of a top AGM battery is that it can withstand cold temperatures. In fact, the best thing is that they do not freeze and continue operating under such extreme temperatures.
- Durable than lead-acid battery –
In comparison to lead-acid batteries, AGM batteries are much more durable and also more cyclic. As per experts, if these batteries are taken proper care, they would give up to 16% more charge cycles.
If you have finally decided to get latest AGM batteries for your UPS or your motorboat, believe it or not, nothing will beat your decision. Just make sure to check its temperature sensitivity so that it can keep up with its promise of withstanding extreme cold. In case you want to replace your old gel type battery, make sure you are bringing the right replacement. So, worry no more, and bring home a best AGM battery that would always stay active in delivering high currents whenever there is demand.