Just like a car needs a power-packed engine to vroom off the roads, a boat’s lifeblood is its battery. In other words, a marine battery is one that is used to charge up boats and its contents for hours. Be it for fishing, powering up a trolling motor or charging up navigational lights, a marine battery is used for multiple purposes. There are various types of marine batteries that are used for diverse applications. Right from Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM), Li-ion, Lead Acid to Starting and Dual Purpose batteries, boat owners choose among these to make their boats run varying applications. If you are looking forward to investing in a marine battery, pick the best one always and make your boat stronger and more powerful.
Best Rated Marine Batteries Comparison Chart
- 1 Best Rated Marine Batteries Comparison Chart
- 2 Top 5 Marine Battery Reviews
- 2.1 Optima Batteries 8016-103 D34M BlueTop Starting Marine Battery
- 2.2 Optima Batteries 8040-218 D35 YellowTop Dual Purpose Battery
- 2.3 Optima Batteries 8006-006-FFP 34M BlueTop Marine Starting Battery
- 2.4 VMAX857 AGM Battery 12 Volt 35AH Marine Deep Cycle
- 2.5 Odyssey 31-PC2150S Heavy Duty Commercial Battery
- 3 How to Choose a Best Marine Battery
Top 5 Marine Battery Reviews
Optima Batteries 8016-103 D34M BlueTop Starting Marine Battery
One of the first things boat owners consider while choosing a marine battery is how long it would run, and Optima 8016-103 D34M is exactly what it excels in. Scoring high on performance, this deep cycle marine battery will recharge your boat much faster in comparison to an ordinary battery. So, you don’t have to invest much time into getting your boat on track with this outstanding source of power. With an amazing vibration resistance ability, it is absolutely spill proof and will work wonders for any RV battery. This marine battery from Optima hardly needs any maintenance and is, therefore, a great choice for boats carrying heavier loads.
Features and Specifications:
- 750 Cold Cranking Amps and 12 Volts contribute well to its unparalleled performance
- Stud posts made of premium quality stainless steel makes it strong and sturdy
- Works well in unpleasant weather conditions with its optimal starting power
- Quite flexible to install as it can be easily mounted in any position
- Compact in size as it is 13 to 16 inches tall and weighs around 44 pounds
- Equipped with SpiralCell technology that makes it more efficient to operate on the waters
- Hardly requires any sort of maintenance
- Excellent reserve capacity of 120 minutes
- Works well with a trolling motor
- Maintains consistency in performance
- Can be recharged up to three times owing to its SpiralCell technology
- Vibration resistance enabled to stay away from harsh engine vibrations
- Power required is a lot high
- Capacity to run the boat for long is not up to the mark
Optima Batteries 8040-218 D35 YellowTop Dual Purpose Battery
If your boat takes a number of hiccups to kick start, this dual-purpose and high-performance battery from Optima will surely save your day. With an incredible cranking ability and unmatched cycling power, Optima8040-218 D35 is superb for new-age loaded vehicles. What makes it worth every penny for a boat owner is its long battery life and zero maintenance. Moreover, its SpiralCell technology along with a 98-minute reserve capacity makes it perform with no glitches. Having the potential to work even in bad weather conditions, this yellow top dual-purpose marine battery is real value for money.
Features and Specifications:
- Has a reserve capacity of 98 minutes to perform with absolute consistency
- Holds a capacity of operating at 620 Cold Cranking Amps and 12 Volts
- Holds excellent starting power to work smoothly in rough weather conditions
- It is high on durability as it is almost 15 times more vibration resistant
- Three times more service life in comparison to that of ordinary marine batteries
- Works fine with tractors, forklifts and other applications as well
- Can withstand extreme temperatures without any obstruction in operation
- Light in weight and easy to carry that makes it perfect to power up small boats
- Construction is impressive for its exterior made of premium quality plastic
- Holds a decent reserve capacity and great to kick-start small motors
- Chances of overheating as it is an AGM battery
- Longevity of the battery has been recorded to be bad
Related Links: Want To Know About Best Trolling Motor Batteries
Optima Batteries 8006-006-FFP 34M BlueTop Marine Starting Battery
Worry no more to kick-start your boat even in odd weather conditions as this starting battery from Optima comes with a reserve capacity of 100 minutes. Optima 8006-006 34M is a 12-volt battery and is quite sturdy as it comprises stainless steel stud posts. Leaving no questions in durability, it has vibration resistance of up to 15 times. Having the potential to work with an RV battery, this powerhouse from Optima is too good to keep your boat powered for long. Owning such an efficient marine battery will keep all boat owners happy as the former just don’t need any maintenance.
Features and Specifications:
- Keeps it high on performance owing to its excellent reserve capacity of 100 minutes
- With a commendable starting power, it keeps boat safe and powerful even in bad weather conditions
- Recharges boats in quick time in comparison to the time taken by other marine batteries
- Very easy to install as it takes no effort to install in any position
- Delivers a cold cranking ability of 800 AMPs and requires a minimum of 12 Volts
- Excellent vibration resistance helps it stay away from sudden shocks
- Hardly requires any maintenance and quite consistent in performance
- Can operate in any type of weather condition for its strong exterior made of plastic
- Weighing less than 40 pounds, it is light in weight and compact in size
- A deep cycle battery required separately for the trolling motor
- Charging needs to be monitored as it might lead to overcharging
VMAX857 AGM Battery 12 Volt 35AH Marine Deep Cycle
If your boat has regular heavy-duty jobs to accomplish, VMAX857 will never let you down with its unparalleled performance and speedy delivery time. With heavy-duty lead-tin alloys, it is super durable and hence promises to stand strong despite confronting tough weather conditions. Forget adding water to the VMAC tanks or maintaining them as VMAX857 needs no maintenance at all. Portable as per dimensions, this battery can be easily carried and does not weigh much. There is no doubt about its strength as it boasts of superior-quality plates that will keep your boat all set to move.
Features and Specifications:
- Performs with full strength as it has heavy-duty lead-tin alloys
- Service life is brilliant in not only cyclic but also in flat applications
- No maintenance is required as there is no need to check the electrolyte gravity and neither one has to add water
- Use of AGM between VMAX plates makes it rank high in the category of marine deep cycle batteries
- Has an impressive running time of 4 to 9 hours that will easily make your boat head to long trips
- Involves no hazards or chances of short circuits on water
- Scores high in reliability and requires no maintenance at all
- Does not emit any dangerous gas and is completely spill-proof
- Completely weather-proof and resistant to heavy shocks
- Has the potential to last long for up to ten years
- Longevity of the battery is not good as it has not proved worthy for long drawn trips
- Construction is not so impressive
Odyssey 31-PC2150S Heavy Duty Commercial Battery
Odyssey brings boat owners a sensational marine battery, 31-PC2150S, which not only assures a long service life but also possesses good cranking abilities. Apart from being a reliable power source for all types of boats, this commercial battery boasts of an impressive cycle life that is 70 times better when compared to conventional marine batteries. Nothing can also beat its recharge time as it fully powers up a boat in just four to six hours. Being vibration resistant, it can tolerate extreme temperatures and still makes it a point to keep your boat active for hours. Odyssey31-PC2150S is a big time saver and comes comfortably within your budget as well.
Features and Specifications:
- Equipped with a voltage stability that will keep the boat contents powered for long hours
- High cranking ability of 1150 AMPs adds largely to its performance
- Assures a huge service life of up to ten years that makes it a reliable marine battery
- Super vibration resistance lets your boat stay safe from high impact shock
- Has a high recharge efficiency so as to charge up the boat in around four to six hours
- In terms of functionality and power, it is double of what conventional batteries deliver
- Commendable service life that may span from three to ten years
- Has the ability to recharge faster in almost four to six hours
- Non-spilling design with an awesome mounting flexibility
- Best used for all types of dual-purpose applications
- Minute care should be taken while it stays in charge due to chances of overheating
- A bit overpriced that does not make it a choice for all
How to Choose a Best Marine Battery
If you are a proud owner of a boat, you will know how well it guides you in accomplishing multiple tasks. Well, boat owners are not always concerned with fishing. Instead, they help to power up a lot of things like trolling motors, aerator pumps, navigation lights and more. This means that your boat needs to have the strongest of batteries, or otherwise, things can go a little tough in the midst of a voyage. Therefore, boat owners should never compromise to spend on a marine boat battery because it has to be one that would keep the boat active, especially during challenging situations.
Now, when you will be heading to choose the best marine battery for your boat, a good number of points should be kept in mind. By considering these points, it would be easier for you to pick the right battery, even if you are new to it. So, let’s take a look at some crucial considerations:
- Choose which applications you want to run –
You might be involved in doing several activities with your boat. In this process, your boat runs on a very powerful motor that can last for long hours. For such long-drawn activities, you might, therefore, be in need of a deep cycle battery that is designed to provide a good volume of energy as and when required.
Some even go for starting marine batteries to kick-start the trolling motor without effort. These batteries are often used for courtesy lights, bilge pumps, and other marine electronics. Apart from these, there are dual-purpose batteries whose capacity is much higher than starting batteries. For electrical needs, dual-purpose batteries are considered important.
- Choose what type of battery you want to install in your boat –
As a matter of fact, there are various types of marine batteries to consider. The first to talk about is a Lead Acid battery that is used to run the majority of automobiles. These are quite cost-effective and keep power discharges in absolute control.
Next is Absorbed Glass Mat or AGM batteries that are quite popular in the category of marine batteries. What makes these stand out among others is their ability to charge faster and they do not leak. If you are looking for sturdy batteries, the Gel batteries can well serve your purpose. On the contrary, Lithium Ion batteries are for those who have been looking for lighter batteries.
- Check the key battery specifications–
Prior to choosing a marine battery, there are a few specifications that must be checked at all cost. One is checking your battery’s physical case size. If you are having a small-size boat, you might then be limited to a group size fitting all those dimensions.
Next comes the reserve capacity, which can be tested by calculating the time the unit can bear a load of up to 25 AMPs prior to falling at 10.5 V at a given temperature. Also, checking the Ampere-hours is crucial for a marine boat. This actually determines how strong your boat is in terms of life expectancy.
Now that you have come to know about various aspects of choosing a marine battery, it would not take much time and effort in doing so. Just be a little careful, draw comparisons and then make the deal to bring your very own boat to life.
Finally, you are geared up to set sail with all your loved ones. So, have you checked everything on your boat, especially the battery? Remember, a marine battery will provide the crucial amount of power your boat will need to glide smoothly on the waters. So, it has to be a good battery and which should also be perfectly compatible with it. If you are still confused, talk to an expert or draw a quick comparison between the popular marine batteries that would give you a clear idea. Have a crystal clear idea about your marine boat battery and enjoy your upcoming trips without any worries.