People who love fishing always try to avoid spooking the fish and this can be done with the help of a best trolling motor. It is nothing but a self-contained unit comprising an electric motor along with a propeller and other controls. Trolling motors are usually available in 12, 24 and 36- volt configurations and their power output are measured in terms of thrust. These motors usually make use of electricity for power that is derived from the batteries installed on the boat itself.
The history of an electric trolling motor dates back to 1934 when O.G.Schmidt invented it in Fargo, North Dakota. Today, trolling motors are in huge demand among fishermen as well as those who enjoy fishing as sport or pastime. While choosing a trolling motor, one must be aware of its voltage capacity, propelling power, shaft length, and a few other factors. So, if you have serious plans for quality fishing, go for a trolling boat motor today with no second thoughts.
Best Selling Trolling Motor Comparison Chart
7 Top Rated Trolling Motor Reviews
Minn Kota Endura C2 30 Freshwater Transom Mount Trolling Motor
If there are trolling motors that have undergone major advancements in the last few years, the ones from Minn Kota should certainly be counted in the list. Have a look at Minn Kota Endura C2 30 that is a freshwater trolling motor and comes with a transom mount. This 12 volt trolling motor comes equipped with a 30-inch shaft along with a thrust level of 30 that keeps it high on power. While steering, one would find its compact, 6-inch telescoping handle to be quite comfortable.It has been designed ergonomically so as to ease the driver with the speed controls. With a promise to move quietly on the waters, Minn Kota Trolling Motor Endura C2 30 is any day a smart bet for fishing freaks.
Features and Specifications:
- Comes with a telescoping handle that measures 6 inches and is quite comfortable for steering
- Has a 10-position bracket that is equipped with a lever lock for quick release
- The 10-position bracket has a composite material that keeps it away from UV damage
- Has different speed settings that include 3-reverse and 5-forward speed settings
- Built with more power to move smoothly through dense vegetation due to Power Prop
- The engine is cooler in comparison to other engines
- Exclusive bearing system that lessens friction and noise as well
- Has a very powerful shaft that is equivalent to being indestructible
- Makes steering quite effortless for its ergonomic handle
- Light in weight as it weighs only 17 pounds
- A rock-solid mount provided by the lever lock bracket
- Battery capacity is not good and drains off in no time
- Reverse gear is not so effective and cause problems while steering
Newport Vessels 55 Pound Thrust 8 Speed Electric Trolling Motor
A trolling boat that can serve a plethora of purposes and is high on versatility should always be a premium choice for anyone willing to do fishing in tranquility. The 55-pound kayak electric trolling motor from Newport Vessels comes with sensational features so as to let one fish for long hours with no chances of overheating. Designed to let one enjoy saltwater boating, this trolling motor assures a noise-free operation along with multiple speed settings. What will let the user stay easy with the controls is its 3-reverse speed and 5-forward speed. Its 30-inch shaft is made of composite fiberglass that makes it absolutely durable. This trolling motor from the NV series also has a 5-point LED battery meter that will provide instant power when required. Being pocket-friendly, it is no doubt a great consideration for saltwater fishing lovers.
Features and Specifications:
- Equipped with a thrust power of 55 pounds that prove its power and might
- Has an aluminum head along with a 6-inch ergonomic handle that makes it easier for one to handle the controls
- Has a 30-inch shaft that is made of composite fiberglass, making it durable
- Powered by 3-reverse speeds and 5-forward speed
- Ideal for freshwater as well as saltwater conditions as its hardware is made of good quality stainless steel
- Operates at 9 miles per hour with almost no sound
- Has an LED battery indicator
- Operates for long hours and does not overheat
- Does not weigh heavy at all and can be carried easily to places
- Ideal for all types of small boats like canoes, kayaks, and dinghies
- Motor head is quite durable as it is made of aluminum
- Screws and nuts fitted in the motor start rusting in no time
- No speed indications are given that makes it difficult to identify the right speed
MinnKota Powerdrive 45 V2 Bow Mount Trolling Motor with Foot Control
The happiest thing about a trolling motor is its foot controls, and the MinnKota Powerdrive V2 will leave you impressed in this respect. Well, what else a trolling motorman at the steering can wish other than ergonomically designed foot pedals? With a shaft of unmatched durability, this trolling motor looks technologically enriched with a digital maximizer. Moreover, this 12-volt motor has a 45 lbs thrust and a 48-inch shaft. With a bow mount, it does not take much time to set up. For hassle-free deployment, a deploy-assist lever has been provided. With momentary On/Off feature, this high-tech trolling motor will certainly prove to be a wise investment.
Features and Specifications:
- Maximum thrust power of 45 lbs makes it perform with more efficiency
- Ideal for freshwater use and takes a minimum of 12 volts to operate
- Shaft is 48 inches long and is composite that will neither corrode nor break
- Holds the ability to move through heavy vegetation for having Power Prop
- Compact in size as it measures 15.8 x 7.9 x 59.8 inches
- Light in weight and quite portable
- Optimizes power for strengthening battery life due to its Digital Maximizer Technology
- Has an electric foot pedal as well as steering control
- Very sturdy and durable
- Takes no time and effort to install
- An 18-foot long cord is included that makes it convenient for electrical connections
- Operates very smoothly and without any noise
- Very easy on the pocket in comparison to other motors
- Issues crop up steering often
- Foot pedal not so strong and flexible
- Lack of maintenance will affect its operation
Minn Kota Riptide 55 SP Saltwater Bow Mount Trolling Motor with CoPilot
If GPS trolling capabilities are what you have been looking for in a trolling motor, Minn Kota Riptide 55 is the one you should go for. With one step up from the Riptide SM series, the Riptide PowerDrive series brings most powerful trolling motors with GPS remote control systems. Perfect for small, medium and other fishing boats, this trolling motor has 55 lbs thrust and 48-inch thrust. Weighing 43 pounds, this new-age motor also comes a built-in battery gauge, a Bluetooth smartphone app, a composite shaft, a digital maximizer and varying speed settings. It is indeed a high-tech motor that also includes a heading sensor, making one to jog in any direction. Smart and innovative, Minn Kota Riptide 55 trolling motor is worth every penny.
Features and Specifications:
- Comes with a bow mount that makes it easier for installation
- Has a composite shaft that scores high on longevity as it will not break, no matter under what circumstance
- Has a new deploy-assist lever for better functioning
- Foot pedal is modernized with a new design
- Digital Maximizer is included for generating more power and improving battery life
- Meant for both saltwater and freshwater fishing
- Powered by multiple speed settings that make it convenient for the boatman to steer
- GPS powered and comes equipped with heading sensor
- Comes with a corded foot pedal that makes it easier to operate
- Has a push to test battery meter that determines its capacity operate
- Its composite shaft is so strong that it can be called indestructible
- Poor packaging of the product while stowing and unstowing
- A bit noisy while taking the turns
Intex Trolling Motor for Intex Inflatable Boats, 36″ Shaft
Here comes a remarkable trolling motor from the house of Intex that will now take your boating experience to a whole new level. With this amazing motor, you are going to have the most flexible operating controls supported by five forward speeds and three reverse speeds. Moreover, the control handle can be adjusted up to 6 inches and can be slanted up to eight positions. The control panel is just outstanding with Overload indicators, Dry Operation, Battery Meter and also the Weed Escape control button. If you are planning for saltwater or freshwater boating, this powerhouse from Intex will indubitably meet your purpose.
Features and Specifications:
- Suitable for boats like Seahawk II, Intex Challenger 3 and Mariner ¾
- Controls are easy and adjustable with 3 reverse speeds and 5 forward speeds
- The 6-inch control handle can be adjusted and it can be tilted up to eight positions
- Requires a power of 420W and 12 volts DC
- Needs a maximum thrust of 40 lbs
- Very easy to install and takes no time
- Has a shaft length of 36 inches
- Comes with battery cables and mounting bracket that can be adjusted
- Operates with no sound
- Helps the boat to glide smoothly on the waters
- Does not make any noise while moving on the waters
- Controls are quite easy that makes steering hassle-free
- Handle is adjustable up and down to multiple angles
- Propeller does not work effectively on the water
- Overheating issues crop up when the motor runs
- Lower tilt button is not strong enough
Newport Vessels NV-Series 36 lb. Saltwater Transom Mounted Trolling Motor
If you are a boatman looking for that right saltwater trolling motor that would run long and take smaller workloads with ease, the electric trolling motor from Newport Vessels will certainly leave you with a big smile. Low in price, this transom-mount motor gets a tick on both its performance and reliability. Furthermore, a lot of users have expressed happiness about its ability to meet varying purposes. Built with premium quality materials, it is no doubt sturdy and supports a trendy design as well. Its 30-inch shaft is completely adjustable and is best for kayaks, fishing boats and transom-enabled inflatables as well. So, just keep aide all your perplexities and invest with confidence in this 8-speed control trolling motor.
Features and Specifications:
- Motor is quite compact in shape as it has dimensions of 18 x 5 x 34 inches
- Quite portable as it weighs only 18 pounds and is best for kayaks, canoes and other small fishing boats
- Requires a minimum of 12 volts to run and has a thrust power of 36 lbs
- Its shaft has a length of 30 inches and is non-corrosive as well as indestructible
- Comes equipped with a 6-inch ergonomic handle made of aluminum and makes control easier
- Ideal for those who are looking for saltwater fishing
- Multiple speed settings make it advantageous for the controls
- Comes with an LED light indicator that will show battery status
- High on durability with a strong motorhead
- Steering is extremely comfortable
- Light in head and quite portable
- Speed is very slow and therefore moves at a low pace
- Reverse speed is not consistent that makes the operation often directionless
Outsunny 12V Transom Mounted 50-Pound Thrust Electric Fishing Boat Trolling Motor
Are you all set to hit the open sea and have fun with your fishing gear? Here comes a rock solid electric trolling motor from the house of Outsunny. This 12-volt fishing motor offers up to a thrust of 50 pounds and can cruise off with almost no sound through both saltwater and freshwater. This easy to attach motor comes with three reverse speed and five speeds in forward. The motor can be even mounted in ten different positions owing to the lever lock bracket, which makes installation a lot easier. Equipped with a sturdy metal head and a composite shaft, this trolling motor is just brilliant to take you safely in all water conditions.
Features and Specifications:
- Comes equipped with a metal head that adds immense support to it
- Supported by a composite shaft that is highly durable
- Holds the power to run at 564 W and has a maximum thrust of 50 lbs
- Runs at a maximum speed of 6.5 km/hr
- Has an input voltage of 12 volts
- Holds the capacity to take 5 to 7 people at a time
- Telescopic handle of 6 inches is completely adjustable
- Battery cables provided that measures 4.6 inches in length
- Steering controls are good with multiple speed settings
- Can be mounted to ten different positions owing to the lever lock bracket provided
- Built with sturdy materials, making it safe and strong enough for fishing on seas
- Quality of plastic mount is not good
- Not much affordable like other trolling motors
How to Choose the Best Trolling Motor?
If you are willing to have a pleasant experience in fishing, you must know that those little creatures prefer staying miles away from the world of chaos. To enjoy fishing to its core, you, therefore, need to take soundless strategies, and taking a trolling motor boat is certainly one of those. Imagine those gas-powered boats that make such terrible sounds, and fishing then would result in a mess. So, why scare off the fish when you know that even a little vibration can be bad? So, what you need is to choose the good trolling motor that would let you enjoy fishing like you had never done it.
Now, when it comes to choosing a trolling motor, it might seem to be a little tricky. In fact, it might require you to have a little scientific knowledge. However, you can always talk to an expert and proceed. But the following considerations will assist you to a good extent in choosing the perfect trolling motor. Take a look:
- Check the voltage –
Every boat owner must be aware of how much battery power should be required by the trolling motor he/she is going to install. Well, this depends on the boat size. Fishing boats that are large in size should actually use a 24-volt or a 36 volt trolling motor. Similarly, if you have a kayak or a canoe, a 12-volt trolling motor will be great.
- Check the propelling power –
Measuring the propelling power of the motor is equivalent to measuring the thrust. So, the craft needs to be big if you want more amount of thrust from your trolling motor. Experts suggest that a thrust of 5 pounds is required if it needs to weigh a boat of 200 pounds.
- Check the length of the shaft –
Determining the shaft length of the trolling motor is also very important. The shorter the boat, the shorter the shaft. Similarly, if you are having a boat of a large size, you need to have a larger shaft. In order to ensure that you are having the right motor length to fit your boat, just add eighteen inches and you will have an accurate measurement.
- Check mount support –
There are two types of mounts upon which a trolling motor is installed – Bow and Transom. While a bow mount is installed in front of the boat, a transom rests right on the stern. Now, if your boat is a bit large, you need to go with a bow mount that will result in more maneuverability. While a smaller craft like a dinghy or a kayak should always go for a transom.
- Check how your trolling motor operates –
A hands-free experience is always welcome for a boatman if he chooses a foot controlled trolling motor boat. However, the trolling motors are basically hand-controlled while the more advanced ones come with both hand and foot operating controls. Well, if savings are on your mind, go for a hand-controlled trolling motor. But if you don’t care spending much, a boat with foot operated pedals can always be yours.
Benefits of Using Right Trolling Motor
According to boatmen, if you already have a gas-powered boat, you will then only find a trolling motor boat heavenly. Designed exclusively to let people fish, trolling motors are quiet and serve the purpose correctly. The trendy ones rather come with such outstanding built-in features that saltwater fishing will seem to be the most enjoyable sport on earth. Besides, there are numerous reasons why owning a trolling is highly advantageous. Let’s have a look:
- Silence dominates on the waters –
Indeed, a big reason why trolling motors are a favorite among fishermen and boatmen is their ability to glide with no sound through the waters. These motors are so advanced that they not only help propel boats with efficiency but also stay away from those unwanted vibrations. So, fishing is certainly going to be enjoyable on trolling motors.
- Installation involves no hassles –
Another big advantage of a trolling motor is that it is absolutely light in weight. Moreover, when it comes to installation, it neither needs time nor too much effort in doing so. What one needs is to choose between bow and transom mount on which the boat is to be installed. Depending on the size of the boat, the installation needs to be done.
- Variety is huge to choose from –
What’s good about trolling motors is that they are available in different forms. To be precise, they are chosen as per their shaft lengths, battery power,and thrust levels. So, once you are aware of each and every aspect of your boat, it will be easier for you to pick the right model. In fact, there are different trolling motors available as per different environmental situations. Once you are aware of your sailing conditions, it will be easier for you to make the right choice.
- Does stealth fishing with accuracy –
Till date if you had always faced problems in reaching those fishing hot spots, scaring those watery creatures and ending up in disappointment, trolling motors would just do the opposite. These are ideal to help you reach those impossible areas of the fishing territory without letting the fish know about your presence. No matter how shallow or deep the water is, trolling motor would smartly get the trick done.
- Steering is smooth and fun –
Boating turns entertaining when you know that you can steer well off the waters. While taking those turns, the boatmen need to be aware of how sensitive are the controls. Trolling motors in this respect are outstanding as the modern ones have both hand and foot steering. Nowadays, those who are into fishing, prefer boats with foot steering that are far better and convenient than those having hand-steering controls. For the foot steering controls, riding a trolling motor becomes easier and fun.
So, there is hardly anything to leave you scratching your forehead for buying a trolling motor, isn’t it? Just make sure you know everything about your boat and then proceed to get that most reliable trolling motor. Happy Fishing!!
So, your mind has now a fishing plan, isn’t it? Take the next step by getting a high-quality trolling motor that would perfectly meet your boat requirements. If you have a budget in mind, you can always bring multiple trolling motors into comparison, analyze the reviews and pick the right one. Just check if your boat is good enough for fishing and then you can start chalking out the requirements of a trolling motor. Make sure not to mess up with the shaft length and the mount considerations. Whether your boat is small or big, a best trolling motor would lend it a new life on the waters and gift you some unmatched fishing sessions you had always craved for with your loved ones.