Exide XMC-31 – Reliability Tested
A marine battery is different in use than the regular car battery. A car battery needs to just provide the initial burst of power for the engine to start, after which the engine takes over and not only helps run the car thereafter, but also charges the battery back. A marine battery, on the other hand, would be needed to do both – start or ‘crank up’ the engine using a short burst of power, and also provide a gradual supply of power to run the other appliances.
While choosing a marine battery one needs to ensure that it has adequate cold cranking amperes to start smoothly, and also have adequate reserve capacity to ensure enough running power for extended periods even in heavy vibration conditions. It might also be a good idea to consider having separate batteries for cranking and extended running purposes. The Exide XMC-31 MEGACYCLE AGM-200 Sealed Maintenance Free (AGM) Marine Battery is a valve regulated lead-acid marine battery with an absorbed glass mat (AGM) being used to immobilize the electrolyte. Let us see if it can serve both purposes well.
Product Specifications of XMC-31 Megacycle AGM-200
- Manufacturer – Exide
- Weight –75 pounds
- BCI Group Size – 31
- Electrolyte Separator – AGM type (absorbed glass mat)
- CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) – 950 CCA to 1110 CCA
- RC (Reserve Capacity) – 200 minutes
- Battery Size – 12V
- Capacity (20 hours) – 100 Ah
- Maximum 5s Discharging Current – 1400 A
- Warranty – 2 years Limited (free replacement)
- Return – up to 90 days
- Price – $238 onwards
- Shipping – free
- Handling recommended – by team
A word of clarification regarding some of the specifications given above, before we move on to look at the pros and cons. The CCA provided is for two different temperatures, 950 CCA is at 0oF, while 1110 CCA is at 32oF. The RC mentioned above is a minimum of 200 minutes at a continuous draw of 25 amps at 82oF. Warranty is only for free replacement, and pro rata warranty has been discontinued since 2012.
The battery has a removable handle, and is recommended to be moved by at least two persons. It is completely sealed and non-spillable. The dual terminals are of wire lead type. For used batteries, the date of manufacture needs to be checked. The price listed does not include any other accessories, so your total cost would go up if you also need to purchase battery trays, wires etc.
- Hybrid battery with dual use, can be used for engine starting as well as ongoing running of appliances
- High cold cranking amperes to give you a good power boost for starting the engine
- Reserve capacity of more than 3 hours, so you can enjoy extended periods without worry
- Good for heavy usage
- Competitively priced
- Free Replacement Warranty of two years
- Good resistance to vibration
- 40% greater charge acceptance compared to similar batteries in this category
- Absorbed Glass Mat effectively separates the two cathodes, so there is no risk of the electrolytes drying out
- At 75 lbs, it is a very heavy battery, so handling is to be done carefully, and there is a risk of injury if improperly done
- Might not give optimum performance if date of purchase is too much later than the date of manufacture
As you can see above, this battery from the house of Exide has more good features than problem areas, and this is also reflected in the user reviews posted online. The large number of benefits is what one can expect from a reputed manufacturer. The heaviness of this battery is because it is stuffed with lead, so it needs to be handled carefully. If you can ensure that the XMC-31 Megacycle AGM-200 marine battery you buy is not too dated, and if you can handle the heavy weight, then we can recommend this product for all your heavy usage, and enjoy a worry-free long life for your battery.