A marine drive can be the most memorable time you spend with your family and friends provided you ensure everything in your boat is safe and sound. Yes, there are many hazards on a boat that can cause harm to the boat as well as the people inside it. One such hazard is the battery acid and only a marine battery box can offer you protection against it.
The Battery box is a protection mechanism that keeps any seeping liquid from the battery contained in a protective cover. It also directs harmful, potential gases away especially when you have a deep cycle marine battery on your boat. This makes it an imperative asset for your boat which must be bought with great attention. To help you in easy buying of the good battery box, here we offer top models available in the market:
Top Rated Marine Battery Box Comparison Chart
- 1 Top Rated Marine Battery Box Comparison Chart
- 2 Best 5 Marine Battery Box Reviews
- 3 Benefits of Using Good Marine Battery Box:
- 4 How to Choose The Right Marine Battery Box?
Best 5 Marine Battery Box Reviews
MinnKota Trolling Motor Power Center
This battery holder case from MinnKota is what you need for your next marine expedition. Built ergonomically, the case has a patented design that encapsulates the battery with ultimate protection. This battery box is made keeping in mind small boat transom applications where you do not have a battery compartment. It offers easy access to the battery terminals, thanks to the spacious layout. You also get 12-volt accessory plugs and manual reset circuit breakers along with this battery box. Some additional features of this case include:
- Offers swift and hassle-free access to external battery terminals.
- The battery case has 2 manual reset circuit breakers of 15 amps and 60 amps respectively.
- The external battery meter lets you check the charge status of the batteries inside the box.
- It features enough space to fit group 24- and 27-size batteries.
- This super smart battery box lets you connect the trolling motor leads and charger leads without opening the lid.
- The sturdy strap holder enables the user to tie the battery box tightly down to the boat.
- The efficiency of the built-in-charge meter is in doubt as people have a complaint of wrong readings.
NOCO HM318BKS Group 24-31 Snap-Top Battery Box
If you are looking for a box that is sturdy and durable, the NOCO HM318BKS Group 24-31 Snap-Top Battery Box is the best option. This battery box is designed to hold single group 24-31 battery. It offers you complete protection, thanks to its ergonomic design that leaves no open vent for gases to leak out and maintains optimum ventilation altogether. Aptly made to work in the rugged environment the box easily stands out aids, gases, oil or any other contaminant attack.
- Heavy duty built optimum for marine and other automobiles.
- Reinforced handles, tightly secured lid, improved ventilation caps ensure complete protection and durability.
- Restricts water entry and efficiently withholds acid leaks, gases while constantly maintain the ventilation levels.
- Made in compliance with United States Coast Guard (USCG) Code of Federal Regulations 183.420 and American Boat and Yacht Council (ABYC) E-10.7 specifications
- Easy to relocate, thanks to the patented design
- It can easily Impact resistant down to minus 20 degrees Fahrenheit
- UV exposure resistant, this box can be used in RV, Marine, and other automobile applications.
- The strap on the machine is not sturdy and does not hold the box in place firmly.
UPG 40790 Black Marine Battery Box
For the next generation mariners, here is the most evolved UPG 40790 Black Marine Smart Box. Wrapped in a heavy-duty polypropylene case, this battery protection box extends a number of features that do not demand you to open the lid again and again. It has 2 external 12 VDC auxiliary plugs for easy application as well as a LED indicator that states the battery status. Measuring 3.8 pounds, the battery box is easy to relocate and set up. This has been a great smart box so far with user-friendly features to explore. Here are some key features of UPG 40790 Black Marine Smart Box:
- The smart box fits group 24 and 27 BCI sizes.
- It is perfect for marine, automobile and RV applications.
- With a patented design, the smart box has a sturdy built that makes it durable.
- To keep it in a place a heavy duty strap holds the box to the boat.
- There is a LED indicator hence you do not have to bother about the battery status.
- The user does not have to open and close the lid again and again as this smart box offers external links to most of the function.
- It is built to contain and contaminant spill or leak and thus offers perfect protection.
- Some malfunctions have been reported in the protection box like faulty display lights, loose strings, and rubber caps.
Attwood Standard Battery Box, Vented, 24 series
Here comes another great product from Attwood, a battery case with high-standard protection guarantee. It promises larger capacity and can easily sit vented or non-vented series 24 batteries of standard size. Ergonomically designed, the battery box offers ultimate protection through its sturdy design. It has optimum ventilation space and potential to keep the leaked or spilled gases and liquid within. Tested in temperatures ranging from -20DegreeF to +120Degrees, these battery boxes are for performance. Some more interesting features of this box include:
- Made in compliance with the ABYC Standard E-10 and U.S. coast guard specification number 183.420
- It is equipped with an OEM-installed battery hold-down system
- For high-level acid resistance, the battery case is made of Polypropylene construction.
- The hold-down strap offers high-level resistance and can easily work on 350 pounds of weight.
- The box has enough area to store batteries as well as the cables and that too at an affordable price.
- High-level acid and oil resistance add years to the battery life.
- The strap is claimed to be loose and unable to hold the box in place. You might need to buy an additional strap.
NOCO HM485 Dual 8D Commercial Grade Marine Battery Box
Another advanced and well-built battery case from Noco, the HM485 Dual 8D Commercial Grade Battery Box is perfect for marine, RV & other automobile applications. As the name suggests, it is a commercial grade battery box offering high sturdiness and enough space to fit dual 8D batteries. Also, it features four corners fastening system and large entry holes for gauge cables increasing the usability of the protection box. The captive lid makes it easy to install and ergonomic design makes it’s efficient to hold the gas and acid reservoirs. Some more striking features of the marine battery case are:
- It has a rugged design which increases its resistance to temperature and other hazardous contaminants including gases, oils, and acid.
- Efficiently restricts the water entry while maintaining proper ventilation to maintain the battery in the best condition.
- Developed in accordance with United States Coast Guard (USCG) Code of Federal Regulations 183.420 and American Boat and Yacht Council (ABYC) E-10.7 specifications
- The marine battery box is UV resistant, thanks to its building material; thermoplastic modified by UV stabilizers
- Easy to install and use, the battery box is widely spacious and ventilated.
- It is not apt for storing 4D batteries.
Benefits of Using Good Marine Battery Box:
The battery is the lifeline of a boat and a battery box can be described as an aid that ensures you have an uninterrupted supply of power for your lifeline. Having a battery box in your boat is important to ensure the boat, as well as the people aboard, are protected from any hazardous wastes leaking out of the batteries. It offers a protection layer to your batteries, ensuring they last longer. Here are some of the many benefits of using marine battery box:
- Protection against acids:
Your motor boat batteries contain acid which when spilled can cause significant harm. A marine battery box is made in a way that it can keep the spilled acid inside and prevent any harm to the people or the boat.
- Protection against gases:
The boat batteries release hazardous gases when in use, a marine battery box ensures that these gases are released into the environment just like that, but it maintains a proper air channel to facilitate optimum ventilation and easy & effective release of poisonous gases.
- Protection to the batteries:
Boat batteries are exposed to a variety of rugged conditions which is enough to make them worn out much before their age. To boost the life of your batteries, you must get a sturdy battery case. These battery cases are made of high-resistance, UV safe & durable material that safeguards your batteries against untimely decay.
No matter you have a big boat or a small one, keeping it organized is utmost important. You can easily keep your batteries, extension cords and many other cables inside these boxes and keep your boat area clean and organized.
These are some benefits that make marine battery boxes a must buy for your boat batteries. Your batteries are expensive as well as important to you, there is no way you can let them loose to get damaged before time, thus buying a marine battery case is the best solution.
How to Choose The Right Marine Battery Box?
As important as it is to have a battery box, it is equally imperative that you buy the perfect marine battery box for your batteries. The many benefits of using a battery box make it clear that there is no way you can go out boating without a battery box, but choosing the right one is often intimidating. There are a variety of battery boxes available in the market that look just similar, in such a condition, here are some guidelines that you must follow to buy the right marine battery box:
- Type of battery:
The first and foremost thing is to check the battery type you use. Battery boxes differ in size and function as per the battery type. You must buy a battery box that is specially made for the type of battery you employ in your boat.
Second most important thing is to buy a branded marine battery box. The brand offers you the assurance of quality and durability. You can also claim the warranty clause in case the battery box gets damaged before time.
- Traditional or smart:
Now, there are two popular variants of battery boxes- conventional & smart. While in the conventional battery case you have to open the lid every time you need to set up a cord or check the battery charge status, a smart battery case offers you ease to access the chords from outside, without opening the lid. Smart battery boxes also come with a built-in charge meter that reads the battery charge status.
- Mounting options:
You must also check the mounting option any box offers. It must be easy to mount and must stay fixed to the boat with the provided aid by the manufacturer.
Battery boxes are a protective layer that effectively safeguards your battery from numerous threats. It also offers protection to the people aboard against any oil, gas or acid leak. Made with high-quality material, a battery box withstands rugged conditions and save your battery from untimely decay, Investing in a quality marine battery box is the first thing a mariner who loves his boat must do. However, you must ensure that you pick the right type of marine battery box for your boat batteries and enjoy the many benefits it has to offer. Say yes to battery boxes and enjoy a great sail on the waters.